I appointed Schumacher Cargo to arrange the transport of an E-Type jaguar from Missouri to Le Havre in France. All communications were smooth and the arrangements went according to plan, from collection of the vehicle, road transport to NY and then the sea freight to France.
Would highly recommend!
Car Shipping Services to France
Shipping your car, automobile, and vehicle to France.
There are many options for people needing to ship belongings to France; options regarding the shipping company, what type of service to use, the best location for vehicle pickup, whether you are moving to Paris, Lyon or Toulouse and countless other factors.
What We Offer People Shipping Cars from the USA to France
- Competitive rates with a high level of customer service
- Consolidated container service (when we load 2 or 3 cars in a 40' container) from one of our 5 locations in the US and ship to either Le Havre or the port of Fos Sur Mer for people relocating to Marseille or nearby.
- Roll On - Roll Off service for oversized vehicle
We have additional options for those wishing to use a container without sharing. Our single use 20' container service is perfect for shipping motorcycles or cars, plus additional items.
Our professional destination agents in France will assist you with the unloading process and customs clearance also.
First Time Vehicle Imports and Current EU/Returning Citizens
It should come as no surprise that shipping and importing cars to France depends on where the vehicle is coming from. The information below regards both EU residents and those moving to the France from abroad.
Please contact one of our shipping agents to discuss your auto transport and shipping needs. If necessary, we will be able to help deliver the container to your house for packing, then retrieve it for delivery to the docks. All of our agents are skillfully trained and certified.
- A returning French citizen who has lived abroad for more than 12 months and can prove ownership of a vehicle for at least 6 months of that time is allowed to ship a single vehicle home without paying duties and taxes. This is however a one time deal.
- Under the current EU law, when you import a private vehicle to France, you can drive on French roads for up to six months without registering it.
French Duty and Tax Information on Vehicles
- Cars imported to france for sale and distribution are subject to 19.6% tax upon registration and clearance. Our agents can gladly assist with this if it is your first time shipping cargo overseas. Speak with your salesperson for more information.
- All classic cars, which is anything over 25 years old, the tax rate is only 5.5%.
Documentation for French Customs and Registration
- What we call the "title" or "pink slip" here in the USA, the french call the "Certificate d'Immatriculation". This will be the new paperwork that will accompany the car under its new french legality.
To obtain this, all cars must conform to French driving standards. This process is called the "control technique". Old cars are easier to pass through the process and newer cars may need some conformity work. Highly modified cars may be a lot more difficult and time consuming.
- If you plan to stay in france for more than 6 months,you must register it.
- With your customs clearance paperwork and your certificate from the "control technique" you can register the car and you will be issued French registration plates.
If you would like more information regarding vehicle importation for France, please click the link.
For further information on any of above service options, please call and discuss your shipping needs with one of our Car Shipping Specialists at: US Tel: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Damien Shields