Relocating to Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a growing international destination and is home to one of the largest ports in the world. With it’s growing popularity, many expats are moving to Hong Kong from the US.
When moving household goods to Hong Kong, you need to consider the matter of volume and how many personal belongings you are taking with you. Not only that, you have to consider your living situation, importing costs and other local taxes on specialty items.
Our job as a full service international mover is to help make every part of your move go as smoothly as possible. While you focus on setting up your new life in Hong Kong, Schumacher Cargo Logistics can handle all the stress and logistics of wrapping up your life in the United States and shipping it to your new home in Hong Kong.
Read our guide for moving to Hong Kong from the USA below and start your move today!
Schumacher Cargo Logistics: Your Go-To Company for Moving to Hong Kong
With 40 years of experience as an international moving company, you can be assured that your move is in safe hands. We specialize in consolidation of household goods, meaning you’ll only pay for the amount of space you actually need inside of the container.
As part of our household goods division, we ship a variety of personal goods such as:
- Household electronics and much more
We offer many additional services to streamline your move to Hong Kong and make it as effortless as possible. Benefits of working with Schumacher Cargo Logistics include:
- Door to door options
- Packing and wrapping
- Pick up services for those not close to one of our locations
- 24/7 online tracking
- Customs clearance, paperwork and much more
Considering the Shipping Cost from the US to Hong Kong
Overseas shipping can add up. Fortunately, our international shipping services to Hong Kong can be adjusted for whatever size of shipment you have. Whether you are moving a single room’s worth of household items or an entire container full, choose the best that’s most cost effective for you:
- Shared container service where you only pay for the volume you ship
- Exclusive use container where you pay one flat rate for your own 20′ or 40′ container
- Automobile shipping services including your household goods
Request your free quote for how much it would cost to ship to Hong Kong today.
Importing Household Goods to Hong Kong
There is no import fee at the autonomous region and port in Hong Kong on a majority of common household items (excluding excise goods), which is a major benefit for relocating to Hong Kong. More often that not, you won’t have to pay any import taxes or duties on the goods you are bringing as part of your relocation from the United States.
However, you may encounter duties and taxes if you are shipping a vehicle from the US to Hong Kong. This will depend on your status and the reason for moving the car. Ask one of our specialists for more information before you decide.
Customs requires the following documents when shipping household goods to Hong Kong:
- Detailed inventory list/manifest
- Bill of lading
- Import license
Additional Resources for Moving to Hong Kong
- The Household Goods Volume Container to estimate the amount of space you’ll need
- A moving checklist for a guideline to the essentials of your move
- Our page on moving tips to prepare all your belongings
More About How to Move to Hong Kong
Obtaining Residency in Hong Kong
For individuals, there is a temporary time frame of up to 6 months where you can stay in Hong Kong without a visa. Be sure to start the application process sooner rather than later. There are a few different types of visas that will legally enable you to stay in Hong Kong:
- Employment Visa
- Investment Visa (if you want to start up your own business)
- Dependant Visa
- Permanent Residency (you can only get this after 7 years)
Companies, on the other hand, are resident if they are incorporated in Hong Kong or if the management is located there.
Pet Transportation to Hong Kong
- Pet local permit fees are HK$432 and HK$102 for every additional animal
- Import permits from Hong Kong’s government are only valid for up to 6 months
Major Cities and Destinations in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong City
- Sok Kwu Wan
- Yung Shue Wan
Hong Kong’s Income Tax Overview
Hong Kong’s individual income tax rates are progressive and range from 2% to 17% and their taxes are also levied based on the territory you are located in. For both companies and individuals, any income derived outside the state is tax exempt.
Personal Annual Tax Rates (HKD)
Rate of tax
There is no capital gain tax in Hong Kong for companies or individuals. Additionally, dividend income and interest income received from deposits is tax exempt.
Facts About Hong Kong
- Hong Kong is a special administration region of China
- The state has a land mass of only 30 km
- Hong Kong has more Rolls Royces per person than any city in the world
- Foreign persons wishing to reside in Hong Kong must have a valid entry visa
- Hong Kong has a population of about 7 million
- Macau borders Hong Kong and is known as “The Vegas of the East”
Complete our Online Quote Form and start your move to Hong Kong today!
For further information on moving to Hong Kong or other international shipping questions, call and discuss your overseas moving options with one of our moving specialists at 562-408-667 or toll-free at 800-599-0190.