Toll Free 800-599-0190  |  USA 562-408-6677
International Vehicle Shipping and
Moving Specialists Since 1977

Get Your Quote Today:

Importing a Car to USA

Each year, our team of international vehicle importers ship cars to the USA from Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Asia, and many other countries around the world. Our team understands the detailed process of importing cars to the USA and knows how to handle a variety of different types of imports. As a premier vehicle importer in the USA, we can complete a car import with door to door service to anywhere in the United States.

Other types of vehicle imports include classic autos, trucks, motorcycles, motor homes, RVs, boats, agricultural/industrial vehicles and many others.

Schumacher’s import specialists will guide you through the entire process and help determine which category of vehicle import your shipment belongs to based on the intent of your stay.

To start your vehicle import into the USA, fill out the quote request at the top of the page and read the guide below.

USA Auto Import Schumacher Cargo

How to Import a Car or Other Vehicle

When importing a car into the USA it is important to know the eligibility of the vehicle. Actually shipping a car to the USA is simple, but can only be done if it qualifies.

As a guideline, when looking for an auto import specialist, they should inform you that the vehicle must be:

  1. US specifications (engine) or
  2. 25 years or older if it is not made to US specifications or
  3. Imported temporarily, for less than 12 months

Whether or not a vehicle qualifies to be imported depends on the engine. That is why the import requirements apply to boat imports, cars, motorcycles, RVs and most other vehicles. The process for importing a motorcycle into the USA will be very similar to importing a car. As long as there is an engine, the import process is strict.  In most cases, we import used cars or classics because of these regulations.

If you don’t pass those requirements, your car, truck, or motorcycle simply cannot be imported without special approval from the import authorities. You will first need to fill out an application with the DOT and EPA. If you do receive the special import approval, you will need to convert your vehicle. Often this makes importing vehicles much more expensive and impractical.

Permanently vs Temporarily Importing a Vehicle into the USA

Examples of the different categories of imports include permanent imports and temporary imports.

To permanently import a vehicle to the US, you either have to be a US company, citizen, or hold legal status to work and live in the country.

Check your vehicle’s permanent import eligibility with our easy auto import tool.

When importing vehicle temporarily, the automobile does not have to conform to US standards. However the vehicle must leave the country within a year.

The following are all classified as temporary vehicle imports:

  • Race
  • Display
  • Repair
  • Leisure
  • Vacation
  • Exhibition
  • Events

Documentation for US Vehicle Imports

The docs necessary for all car imports into the United States:

  • Original bill of lading
  • Bill of sale
  • Foreign registration

Visit our page on the guidelines for importing cars to the USA to find info on nonconforming vehicles, applications, and approved/disapproved vehicle lists or fill out our online quote form to get a rate from a fully licensed and bonded international vehicle importer!

How Much Does it Cost To Import a Car in the USA

The cost to import a car depends on many factors that add up to the total price. Factors such as the vehicle specifications, origin/destination, and shipping type all affect the cost to import. An example is a car import from Europe will be different in cost than an import from Asia for the same destination. For this reason, our auto import representatives create custom quotes for each shipment.

To get the cost to import your car, fill out our Online Quote Form today!

Why Choose Schumacher as Your International Vehicle Importers

With over 40 years of experience, we’ve helped thousands of customers import their vehicles into the United States.

As a fully licensed and bonded international vehicle importer, we have distinguished ourselves as the premier independent international car shipper in the USA. Our safety records exceed the industry standards, so you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your vehicle is in safe hands. Whether you’re importing a car from Europe or Oceana, we can complete your shipment with the utmost care and service.

USA Car Import Authorities

The following is a list of the authorities that car importers are involved with and whose standards every vehicle must comply. We’ve supplied their contact info below.

Department of Transportation (DOT)

  • 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
    Washington, DC 20590
    (855) 368-4200

Environmental Protection Authority (EPA)

  • 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, DC 20460
    (202) 272-0167

Customs and Border Protection Agency

  • 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20229
    (877) 227-5511 or (202) 325-8000 for international calls

More Vehicle Shipping Info

Fill out our Online Quote Form and start your car import to the USA today!

For info on any of the above or to discuss your particular shipment, call in at:

US 562-408-6677 or Toll-Free 800-599-0190

SCL Car Importer Reviews

4.7/5 Based on 5141 Reviews


Accreditations Accreditations Accreditations Accreditations Accreditations Accreditations Accreditations Accreditations

Schumacher Cargo Logistics utilizes insured, secured and bonded facilities. We provide warehousing, packing, crating, trucking and loading services out of our own warehouses here in the USA - Los Angeles, Houston, Savannah, Miami, New York, and New Jersey. All other worldwide destinations are covered by our affiliated organization member companies.