Home > Holland > Moving to the Netherlands

Moving Household Goods to Holland from U.S.

Ship Personal Effects to the Netherlands

As an international shipping company with more than 35 years moving household goods to Holland, we know what goes into each and every move.

It's important to understand the different steps and even though our service covers everything exporting your belongings from the U.S., you should know what to expect upon arrival.

Important steps for those Moving Goods to Netherlands from U.S.

Familiarize yourself with dutch customs regulations and requirements. If you're moving household goods to Holland, generally those items intended for personal use can be imported tax free. Otherwise, you can expect a VAT of 21%.

Basic conditions:

  • must be declaring residency
  • lived outside EU for at least 12 months
  • have owned and used goods more than 6 months

You'll have to fill out an application for the exemption permit ahead of time. Make sure the household goods you'd like to import duty free are on two signed lists. Send it to:

Tax and Customs Administration/Customs
PO Box 3070
6401 DN Heerlen
The Netherlands

Things to Know When Relocating to Holland

  • There are over 16 million bicycles in Holland
  • There are over 1000 Museums, the highest density in the world
  • The highest point in Holland stands at 323 Meters high, it is called " The Mountain"
  • Currency used is the Euro
  • Port Rotterdam is the worlds 2nd busiest port (1st is Singapore if you were wondering)
  • Population of almost 17 Million

3 Different Service Options to Choose from

  • Shared container service. You're only charged for the volume you want to ship
  • Exclusive use container 20' or 40'
  • Automobile shipping services

6 Major Cities we ship to in Holland:

Amsterdam Rotterdam Dordrecht
The Hague Maastricht Utrecht

Useful Dutch Personal TAX Income Information

The 2013 Dutch personal income tax rate is max. 52%.

Income (EUR)

Tax Rate





33,364 -55,991


55,992 and over


3 Tips on Pet Transportation Services to Holland

  • Pets need an identification microchip, and a vaccination against rabies.
  • Dogs must be registered with the local municipality in the town you will be living
  • If your pet belongs to an officially protected species, you will need a "cites" permit

For further information on any of above, call and discuss your move with one of our Moving Specialists at: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677

Written by Martyn Cohen

Get your FREE shipping quote today.

Get a Quick FREE Quote

Finding out what it cost to move has never been easier. Take a minute and get a free estimate.

*Use Moving Calculator
Single Multiple