Shipping a car to Italy is not a problem with a dedicated international shipper like Schumacher Cargo Logistics. For over 40 years, Schumacher has completed thousands of car shipments from all over the USA to destinations throughout Italy. Whether you are shipping a single sedan or a fleet of SUVs, our service offers everything you need for a stress free shipment.
Read our guide below on how to ship a car to Italy from the USA and start your international shipment today!
How to Ship a Car to Italy with Schumacher
When shipping a car to Italy, you want to start with the details particular to your shipment. Things you should have in mind are your vehicle details, origin, and destination. With this info we can begin to work with you on completing your shipment. We offer a variety of services and can take care of your car shipment from start to finish.
Choosing our Car Shipping Services to Italy
- Pick up services by Open or Enclosed Carrier
- Warehouses throughout the US for great rates from every port
- Schumacher loading crews with no third parties
- Our own ocean freight contracts
- Consolidated car shipping to Genoa for the best rates
- Sole use container services go to all Italian ports.
- Direct Service as well as transshipment service options available
- Dedicated and experienced automobile handling professionals at warehouse locations at the port of Genoa
- Marine Insurance coverage with multiple deduction options
Consolidated Car Shipping to Italy
Consolidated car shipping to is our most popular way to transport a vehicle to Italy. With this service, you only pay for the space taken in a container. In regards to cars, 2-4 are loaded in one container depending on size. This offers the best value as you don’t have to pay for the container since as you don’t need the whole thing.
Sole Use Car Shipping to Italy
On the other hand, sole use containers have their own benefits. If you are shipping enough vehicles, want a different destination port, or need a tighter time frame, a sole container may be the correct choice. With consolidated containers, they all go to the same base port. When shipping a car to Italy, the base port that containers go to is in Genoa. Sole use containers have their own selection of ports so you may choose instead of sending the cars to Genoa. Another benefit is the time to ship is more controlled since you don’t have to wait for other people. Once your cars are ready, you can ship to Italy immediately.
How Much Does Car Shipping to Italy Cost
The cost to ship a car to Italy depends factors specific to each shipment. Factors for these shipments include the vehicle, origin/destination, ocean rates, service, etc. An example is shipping a car to Italy from California will have a different price than from New York, all things the same. Since the price has so many factors, our representatives create custom quotes for each shipment.
Fill out our Online Quote Form to get a custom quote for your shipment
Destinations in Italy
With our consolidated shipping to Italy, our main port is Genoa. Transporting your car to Italy can be done even if you’re moving to Rome, Milan, or another city. Once your car arrives in Genoa, it is transported by land to wherever you need in the country. Our transportation network allows us to move your car from your door in the states to the door to your home in Italy. You must go through the process to drive it in the country legally if you take it from the port yourself.
Shipping Options: Roll-on Roll-off vs. Freight Container
Alternatively when shipping a car to Italy from the East Coast, roll-on roll-off service is available. There are benefits to both methods but a few general points should make your decision easier when deciding which option to go with.
Roll on Roll off
- RoRo is generally more ideal for larger vehicles. It’s an easy process and usually cheaper than shipping an individual car with a container.However, if you use this method you must make sure that there is nothing inside the vehicle other than a spare and jack. Also insurance is unavailable as the car is more subject to the elements inside the vessel.
- Shipping a car to Italy by freight is ideal for anyone as you get the best value for a smaller vehicle or multiple vehicles. It’s also a very viable option and with this method you can use the extra space in the container to ship your household goods overseas. If you know the dimensions of the vehicle you want to ship, you can compare those numbers with the range of shipping container sizes.
Car Transport to Italy: EU vs Non-EU
When shipping your car to Italy from an EU member nation, there are few barriers from customs. No customs duties or VAT are applied for used vehicles older than six months.
The main task is to have the vehicle registered in Italy and obtain Italian license plates. However, in order to register your car one must first apply for and obtain residency regardless of EU status.
If you are importing a car from outside the EU, you will be required to pay an import duty and VAT if you have not owned the car for more than one year depending on the duration of the stay. In general, used cars have a higher import tax than new cars but the 22% value added tax is standard for most vehicles.
More Italy Info
- International Car Shipping
- Moving to Italy from the USA
- Import a Car from Italy to the USA
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
To start shipping your car to Italy, fill out the quote form at the top of the page or call and discuss your shipping needs with one of our Car Shipping Specialists at Tel: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677