International Moving to Italy
So you are moving to Italy from the USA and aren’t sure what to do next. One of the first decisions you will need to determine is how much of your personal effects you will be moving. Did you know that the electrical voltage for outlets are different than in the US? Since they are different, certain US appliances won’t work in Italy. This makes balancing what you want to bring and what is practical even more important. That is just one of the differences for anyone moving to Italy from the USA.
Truth is, there are many factors to consider for your move. As an international moving company with over 40 years experience moving household goods to Italy, we understand that there is a lot to decide but our goal is provide you with a great rate and a stress free experience.
Read our guide below on how to move to Italy and start your international relocation today.
How to Move to Italy from the USA
Many people ask can Americans move to Italy, and actually Americans move to Italy for a variety of reasons. From the rich historical background to the amazing cuisine, there are plenty draws to live here. We offer a different options for all sorts of moves to Italy with ways to give our customers the best value for what they are shipping.
Moving Services for:
- Full Households/Containers
- Partial Households
We have very competitive groupage rates for personal effects and other household items with 6 US locations: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Miami, Savannah and New York.
Our international moving services to Italy provide domestic pick-up options or self delivery of your belongings. So whether you are moving from downtown Los Angeles or a small town in Pennsylvania, we can help.
How Much Does Moving to Italy from the USA Cost?
When moving from the USA to Italy, the cost depends on the particular move. For example, details such as size, origin, and service type all play a part in the price. For example, the cost for moving to Italy from Los Angeles will be different than the cost to moving to Italy from New York even with the same amount of goods. Since each moves varies, our representatives create custom quotes for each person. This lets us tailor the best prices and options for your international move.
To get your custom quote to move to Italy, use our Online Form
Ways to Move Household Goods to Italy
When moving to Italy there are many different services that will each cater to a different type of shipment. Whether time or cost matters most for your move, we can work out which services will work the best for you.
As mentioned at the beginning of this page, what you want to move does not always take a whole container. For instance, if you are moving to Rome from the US and only have 200 cft (about 1 bedroom worth of goods), it would not make sense to book your own container.
So as consolidation experts, unless you can fill your own 40′ or 20′ with household goods, we can pair your goods with others also heading to Italy. This saves you money on both sides of the move! That example would be our shared container service.
However for large family moves, our moving services can also offer you your own container. Those shipping a vehicle to Italy as part of the move can also book their own container. We offer both 20′ and 40′ containers so we can use exclusive containers for smaller households as well. The benefit of this shipping service is moving to Italy is faster as it skips the consolidation process.
Now the last method is for those that want their belongings ASAP. That would be our air freight service, however it does cost significantly more. Generally this service is used for specific goods such as fine art and antiquities moving. If cost is not a factor and the goods are that valuable, air freight may be the best way to move to Italy.
Whichever service you need, Schumacher Cargo will be happy to help you move to Italy!
Italian Shipment Information
Before you embark on your journey to Italy, it’s essential to decide on your destination. Italy offers a diverse range of regions, each with its unique charm and cultural offerings. Whether you prefer the historic streets of Rome, the romantic canals of Venice, or the stunning coastal landscapes of the Amalfi Coast, understanding your destination is crucial.
The Italian base ports we use are Genoa, La Spezia, Palermo, and Livorno. However, those moving household goods to Italy have the options to also use all Italian ports.
We offer door to door services with final delivery to any address in Italy. This means that no matter where you are moving to in Italy, we can get your goods or vehicle there with no issues.
Popular Cities in Italy to Ship Household Goods:
Exporting, Importing, and Customs Info
Our moving services cover all aspects of the process including customs clearance, documentation and transport to/from the warehouses. Depending on your situation or preferences we can accommodate different services such as door to port if necessary.
Will I need to Pay Taxes and Duties when Importing into Italy?
In most cases, Italian customs allows a one time duty free import of goods as part of your international move to Italy, as long as you meet the following requirements:
- Items have been owned for at least a year
- You have lived in the country of origin more than 12 months
- The goods are at least 6 months old and have been used by you
When shipping household effects to Italy, you will need copies of your passport, a detailed inventory list (which your international shipper will ask for), proof of citizenship (if it applies), proof of residence, and a few more. These are the main forms.
If you do not qualify for the duty free import mentioned above, then expect to pay the standard duties and VAT in Italy. Duties range from 5-20% while VAT is 22% but they vary depending on your status and the condition of your cargo.
Schumacher Cargo’s international moving specialists can help you gather everything that you’ll need.
Top 6 Reasons for Moving to Italy
Since 1977 we’ve moved thousands of expats to Italy and they’ve shared some of their favorite things while staying there.
- Amazing Food: Italy is renowned for its delicious cuisine, which includes pizza, pasta, gelato, and many other dishes. With fresh ingredients, rich flavors, and a focus on regional specialties, Italian food is one of the best reasons to move to Italy.
- Beautiful Scenery: Italy is home to stunning scenery, from the rolling hills of Tuscany to the rugged coastlines of the Amalfi Coast. Whether you love the mountains, the sea, or the countryside, Italy has something for everyone.
- Rich History and Culture: Italy is steeped in history and culture, with iconic landmarks like the Colosseum, the Vatican, and the leaning tower of Pisa. From the art and architecture of the Renaissance to the fashion and design of modern Italy, there’s always something new to discover.
- High Quality of Life: Italy is known for its high quality of life, with a focus on work-life balance, strong social ties, and a laid-back lifestyle. Whether you’re enjoying a long lunch with friends, taking an afternoon siesta, or simply enjoying a leisurely stroll, life in Italy is a slower pace than many other countries.
- Vibrant Cities: Italy’s cities are known for their lively atmosphere, with bustling streets, colorful markets, and vibrant nightlife. Whether you’re exploring Rome’s ancient ruins, shopping in Milan’s high-end boutiques, or enjoying an espresso in Florence’s piazzas, there’s always something to do in Italy’s cities.
- Warm Climate: Italy enjoys a warm Mediterranean climate, with mild winters and hot summers. This means plenty of sunshine and opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities year-round, from hiking and biking to swimming and sunbathing.
More Info for Moving to Italy
Fill out our Online Quote Form and start moving to Italy from the USA.
For more info on anything in particular, please call in and talk to our representatives:
US 562-408-6677 // Toll-Free 800-599-0190