Car Shipping to Holland
Shipping a car to Holland may be hard to imagine, but Schumacher Cargo Logistics has more than three decades of experience in handling vehicle shipments. So whether you’re taking a road trip or are moving overseas to the Netherlands and want to ship your car, we can help.The service we recommend most for transporting cars is using a shared container service. Not only do cars remain enclosed the entire journey but it also costs less.
Each and every car that’s loaded in a container is blocked and braced by professionals to ensure a secure transport.Our export specialists also handle customs clearance here in the U.S. to make things easier on you and our agents in Holland can assist with port clearance just as easy.
Rates will vary depending on what type of car is being shipped and its final destination. When we ship a car to Holland, our point of entry is Rotterdam.
Even though our agents assist with the paperwork and documents to transport a car to the Netherlands, it’s beneficial to look over information for taxes and duties.
Important Information for Shipment and Registration
- All imported cars are subject to a 30% tax on the value of the car in Holland but this tax acts only as a deposit or safety net until the car is registered within the country or EU.
- If your vehicle will be driven less than three months in the country, there is no need to obtain a Dutch license or register your vehicle.
- New arrivals in Holland have six months from the date of registration with their community to register any vehicles that have accompanied them.
Dutch Cities We Ship Cars to
We can reach just about any city or town in the country. The following is just a list of Holland’s larger cities that we ship cars to more regularly.
Steps when Shipping a Car
There are few steps when shipping a car to Holland, but as long as you review the requirements for customs and registration, there should be no roadblocks.
Step 1: In order to assist with customs clearance, we’ll need a few documents. These include:
- The bill of sale/invoice for the car
- Certificate of ownership or title
- Receipt to prove payment of sales tax (VAT equivalent)
- Certificate of insurance for at least the six months prior to import
- Proof of residency outside the EU for at least 12 months prior to relocation
If you meet certain requirements, you can ship a car to Holland as part of your household and personal effects. This allows the car to be exempt from duties and accompanying VAT.
The same applies for anyone shipping a motorcycle to the Netherlands as long as it is for personal use. If you meet the requirements, you must apply for the permit in advance.
Step 2: Registering Your Vehicle in Holland. What you’ll need:
- Proof of identity (passport or ID card)
- Conformiteitsverklaring, Dutch version of a certificate of conformity
- Proof of residence usually in the form of local community registration
- A customs clearance certificate (certificaat van inklaring)
- A copy of the title of the car
For further information on any of above service options, please call and discuss your shipping needs with one of our Car Shipping Specialists at: US Tel: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Damien Shields