Car shipping to Sweden
Shipping your car to Sweden demands patience and planning. Upon arriving at customs you must show all necessary forms and documents in order to be cleared through with your vehicle.
The steps that follow must be done in a timely manner regarding registration, as you only have a week to apply for temporary registration or have the vehicle approved after successfully completing a registration inspection.
Because Sweden is part of the EEA as well as the EU, there are slightly different requirements depending. The situations would all be different for persons moving to Sweden from the US, from Norway or an EU member Country.
Also, in some instances it may be required to visit additional customs facilities or specific locations. This generally applies if you're transporting your boat to Sweden for instance.
8 Step Overview of Vehicle Import Process in Sweden
- Vehicle must pass all requirements with Swedish Customs
- Pay the VAT if applicable
- Obtain insurance
- Apply for verification of origin
- Must schedule an vehicle inspection appointment and registration inspection
- Test the vehicle for 'roadworthiness' with an inspection company
- Receive a registration number
- Activate your registration with the Swedish Transport Agency
Please visit Sweden’s transport website for more information www.transportstyrelsen.se.
Documentation for Customs and Vehicle Registration
- Valid ID and
- Documents regarding transport of vehicle, ownership, etc.
- Insurance documents
- Registration documents
- City residency documents from outside EU country
- Work permit or residence permit
- Certificate issuer of employer
- Lease agreement
You will need the majority of the documents in order to fill out the Single Administrative Document and declare your belongings and also if you are applying to waive the import duty and associated taxes.
Should one not apply for the relief or be ineligible, the applicable VAT in Sweden is 25% in addition to the duties charged by customs. This is the same amount as vehicles being shipped to Denmark.
For further information on any of above service options, please call and discuss your shipping needs with one of our Car Shipping Specialists at: US Tel: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Damien Shields