- It's the first country to see the sunrise.
- "kiwi" is either a bird or a native.
- New Zealand has two national anthems- God Save The Queen and God Defend New Zealand.
- There are nine sheep to every human in New Zealand.
- Sir Edmund Hilary was the first man to reach the peak of Mt. Everest- his face now adorns New Zealand's $5 bill.
- New Zealand has the world's biggest flightless parrot. The world's oldest reptile, the biggest earthworms, the smallest bats.
Moving Household Goods to New Zealand from U.S.
International Moving Services to New Zealand from the U.S.
You may have numerous reasons for moving to Zealand and there are few places more stunning on Earth for which to relocate to.
After making the decision and spending the time figuring out living situations and travel plans, you'll need to decide which items to bring.
There are many international moving companies to choose from and they all promise a stress free process. But our company has dedicated more than 37 years to helping individuals and families with the relocation process from the U.S.
New Zealand is a large international market and we have great groupage rates from all five company locations across the U.S. with containers leaving every two weeks.
Our U.S. locations include Houston, Savannah, Miami, New York, New Jersey and Los Angeles.
However, most clients prefer moving household goods to New Zealand from our west coast facility in Los Angeles due to the shorter sail times and lower ocean freight costs.
Importing Your Personal Effects
The import process for moving household goods to New Zealand is a very intricate process but the following information should help clarify some common questions.
New Zealand has numerous factors they take into consideration regarding imports. These include concessions, allowances, depreciation and other factors.
They can affect the amount you actually pay on the household goods you bring in. In some instances, you may not even have to pay any duties or GST(goods and service tax) when moving household effects to New Zealand from the U.S.
In order to qualify for duty and tax free import of your shipment, NZ customs requires that you meet ALL the requirements:
- Settling for the first time and have the right to residence document
- Present when the effects are imported
- Lived outside NZ for the previous 21 months
- The items in question are owned by you and used before arrival
- Goods are for personal use only
For more information regarding import, visit the New Zealand customs website.
Moving Your Household Effects to New Zealand
8 Major Cities in New Zealand we ship Household Goods to:
|Palmerston North||New Plymouth|
Useful Individual Income Tax:
New Zealand individual income tax rates are 39% beginning 1 April 2010.
Taxable Income (NZ$)
Rate of tax
$0 - $17,500
$17,501 - $40,000
$40,001 - $75,000
$75,001 and over
Income tax is payable by New Zealand residents on their income earned at home and abroad. Nonresidents only pay tax on income sourced from New Zealand. To qualify as a resident, you must personally be present for more than 183 days in any 12-month period or, in special instances, you own a 'permanent place of abode' in the country.
8 Things to Know Before the Move
- KIWI refers to a New Zealand native flightless bird, not Gooseberries!!!
- New Zealand has 2 National Anthems; (God Defend New Zealand and God Save the Queen)
- The capital Wellington, is the worlds most southernmost capital city
- Three quarters of the population live on the North Island
- Foreign person wishing to reside in New Zealand must have a valid entry VISA
- Population of about 4.5 Million
- Someone emigrates to New Zealand every 19 minutes
- GST for 2013 is 15%
Different Service Options When Moving Your Effects
- Shared Container Service
- Sole Use Container 20' or 40'
- Shipping services for your vehicle(s)
Advice for Transporting a Pet to New Zealand
- Hybrids (offspring of dogs or cats crossed with another species) cannot be imported
- Countries must be approved by MPI in advance of pet transport
- Cats and dogs arriving by air must be transported as cargo unless they qualify as an assistance dog
For further information on any of above, call and discuss your move with one of our Moving Specialists at: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Damien Shields