How to Pack for Safe Piano Shipping Internationally
Contemplating to pack and move your piano internationally? Maybe you are a musician worrying about how to ship your piano overseas and thinking it might be impossible. Or perhaps you are just a homeowner, relocating internationally– who needs to pack and ship your most prized possession, a piano! Look no further as Schumacher Cargo can be your international piano mover.
Read our post on our top tips for shipping your piano overseas and start your international shipment today!
Here is the fact; you spent quite a fortune getting this instrument, and it would be just heartbreaking to see it be mishandled during the move. We consider a piano move to be along the lines of preparing for a concert – it needs the correct planning, patience, rehearsals and finally execution to deliver a great performance!
International Piano Shipping Facts
Understanding the background and some important realities helps one plan and prepare for the overseas move intelligently and safely. Here is the fact; you spent quite a fortune getting this instrument, and it would be just heartbreaking to see it be mishandled during the move. We consider a piano move to be along the lines of preparing for a concert – it needs the correct planning, patience, rehearsals and finally execution to deliver a great performance!
Note the below aspects of your piano:
- A piano is shaped awkwardly, is large and definitely heavy
- The different wood qualities makes it trickier to handle
- It needs climate control environment since sound quality might deteriorate if temperature differences exist between new and old place
- When moving be careful with unique dynamics and delicate internal moving parts
- A piano has fragile outer cabinets
Dos and Don’ts to Shipping a Piano Overseas
Enlist a basic checklist to review in regards to packing and moving your piano:
- Strictly avoid considering to move your piano overseas entirely on your own. It will be a nightmare if you don’t do it the right way.
- Avoid trying to hire a few people to move the piano manually without any tools. It’s a piano, not a desk!
- Remember to wrap your piano with blankets and pads to avoid dents, scratches or blemishes to the surface. Refinishing is expensive.
- Secure the internal delicate moving parts.
- Close and lock the piano lid.
- Depending upon the weather when you move the piano, consider using a plastic wrap too.
- Double check the new space where you would relocate the piano to make sure it will fit.
- Avoid the stairs if you can. Piano are best through freight elevators or piano boards.
- Remember to secure the piano inside the vehicle with ropes to avoid shifting.
Tips To Find the Right International Piano Mover
Finding that right international shipper is imperative for relocating your piano overseas. Compromising on that aspect might not be a good idea and instead the right professional overseas movers can make this process sound like a musical piece to your ears!
- Make sure to check the reviews of the international moving company you consider.
- Ensure the movers have expertise in actually moving pianos overseas.
- Always consider insurance coverage and explore options for the same.
- Check if the moving company offers door to door pickup and delivery options.
- Set your expectations right about the need for a climate control trailer, tools and equipment that shall be used for the move, type of packing and other details.
Once you are ready to ship internationally fill out our Online Quote Form and get started!