Home > Pet Shipping > Moving Pets to Austria

Moving Pets to Austria

Moving overseas with your pet to Austria
Need to move your pets to another country?

Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


Before beginning the import procedures, make sure that your vet is approved by the Government Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin. For example, if an animal is departing the United States, the vet will need to be USDA Accredited.

Requirements in Summary:

  1. Microchip: Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785- otherwise the pet will need to be sent with it's own scanner attached to the top of the crate.
  2. All animals need to have Full Vaccinations:
    • Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.
    • Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRCP), and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.
  3. EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#: 998) — (Form provided to you by PetRelocation.com): This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian. This certificate is valid for 4 months prior to departure date so do not get this issued too early.
  4. USDA Endorsement: The below referenced forms:
    • Microchip Implantation Record
    • Rabies Certificate
    • Vet Letter
    • EU Vet Health Certificate

    Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your PetRelocation.com representative on the best way of handling this.

  5. International Health Certificate: Your vet should have these in stock. It's a good idea to call ahead and ask. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure. Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001) an additional USDA Endorsement maybe required on this health certificate. Speak to your PetRelocation.com specialist regarding the USDA portion of this process.
  6. All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.
  7. In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the animal's arrival:
    • Copy of Pet Owner's Passport
    • Note from Pet Owner's Employer for the Relocation


For animals originating in an EU Member State, the "pet passport", can be used and comes in a booklet form, blue in color with the EU emblem of yellow stars. This passport is a document standardized throughout the EU.

In the case of animals originating in a qualifying country other than an EU Member State the "passport" is in the form of a "Veterinary Certificate", must consist of a single sheet, be printed in the language of Member State of entry and in English and be completed in the language of the Member State of entry or English. North American vets write dates confusingly, sometimes in two different formats on the same document. The correct layout requested, and the ISO Standard, is dd/mm/yyyy.

Microchip Numbers must be read from the chip in the animal — and not from other paperwork. You must double check to make sure the chip can be scanned and that ALL NUMBERS of the microchip are recorded correctly.

Written by Damien Shields

Press here to get a moving quote and find out how easy we can make it happen and for a rate that will suit your budget.

Get your FREE shipping quote today.

Get a Quick FREE Quote

Finding out what it cost to move has never been easier. Take a minute and get a free estimate.

*Use Moving Calculator
Single Multiple