Moving overseas with your pet to Ireland
Need to move your pets to another country?
Attention: Schumacher Cargo Logistics Inc. provides this information to be used as general guidelines and may not be up to date to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.
IRELAND IMPORT RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
All animals relocating to Ireland are sent through Belfast under the United Kingdom’s Pets Passport Scheme and driven across the border into Ireland. This is due to the fact that animals flying directly into Dublin (the only approved airport for entry into Ireland) must accompany thier owners, and are subject to a minimum of three days quarantine until all paperwork is verified and all vet checks completed.
Your Pet Relocation Specialist will apply for the necessary transit permits required to cross the border from the United Kingdom into Ireland given at least 30 days notice prior to departure.
* Please note that your Veterinarian MUST BE ‘USDA ACCREDITED’ *
- Microchip: Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785- otherwise the pet will need to be sent with it’s own scanner attached to the top of the crate.
* The microchip implantation MUST BE DONE BEFORE the rabies vaccination. Make sure the Vet scans the chip prior to implant so we know it works.
- Rabies Vaccination & Certificate: All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain — some are good for two years, others are only good for one.
- Rabies Titer / FAVN-OIE Tests: FAVN or Fluorescent Antibody Viral Neutralization (FAVN) Blood Test is to ensure that the rabies vaccinations have provided adequate rabies antibody levels and will need to be approved by an approved Government Facility prior to export (i.e. the USDA).
To obtain a Rabies Titer/FAVN test:
Your vet will need to send a serum sample, accompanied by a completed FAVN Report Form, to the Kansas State University lab* to do the FAVN test. The Kansas State Lab will then send the FAVN Report Form with the results of the test back to the submitting clinic.
Kansas State University
2005 Research Park Circle
Manhattan, KS 66502
If the FAVN test is approved:
The ‘Six Month Wait’ begins at the day of blood draw.
The results of the blood test must be 0.5 IU/ml or above in order to qualify for entry.
*Please call KSU prior to sending the blood to make sure they are aware of the delivery and the destination location. We also suggest, prior to shipping the blood, that you ask how they want the blood container labeled and how they want it sent to them. These labs do change their policy often, so its best to double check with them.
- Letter From Your Vet: Please have a typed letter, on the Vet’s Company Letterhead, which states the date the microchip was implanted. Please include the microchip number and the Pet(s) information (name, breed, sex & age).
* Please note — if the Rabies Vaccination and the blood draw date were done on the same day, please state that the vaccination was given BEFORE the blood was drawn. We will need this letter signed by your Vet — in BLUE ink.
- EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#: 998) — (Form provided to you by PetRelocation.com) — This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian. This certificate is valid for 4 months prior to departure date, so do not get this issued too early.
- USDA Endorsement: The above referenced forms:
- Microchip Implantation Record
- Rabies Certificate
- Rabies Titer Test Results
- Vet Letter
- EU Vet Health Certificate
Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your PetRelocation.com representative on the best way of handling this.
- Final Step: 24-48 Hours Prior to Departure we will need to go back to your Veterinarian so they can issue both an International Health Certificate & the Tick/Tapeworm Treatments they have administered.
Written by Damien Shields
Press here to get a moving quote and find out how easy we can make it happen and for a rate that will suit your budget.