Moving Household Goods to Singapore from the U.S.
Relocating to Singapore with Household Goods
Are you planning to move or relocate to Singapore? In the past decade, it has become a top international destination among the many larger cities in Asia and is also one of the few places that is a city as well as a state.
- Clarke Quay
- Boat Quay
This is particularly important for those moving to Singapore when it comes to importing their household goods and personal effects.
Since the state is very strict in terms of what items come in, it's worth it to make sure you're not bringing in any restricted items from your household or shipping a vehicle that's restricted.
Examples of restricted items include chewing gum, tobacco, gun shaped lighters, reproduced copyrighted material and any attempt to import such items is against the law.
Some items that fall into the controlled category include:
- Toy guns, pistols, swords and other imitations of weapons
- Certain films and video games
- Publications and audio files
- Medicines and other pharmaceuticals (must have medical prescription)
International Moving Services to Singapore
As an international moving company, our services to Singapore from the U.S. for household goods and personal effects will cover all aspects of the export.
This may start with packing and wrapping your effects at your residence or when the goods arrive at one of our warehouses depending on the service you select.
We own 5 in the U.S. alone: Los Angeles, Houston, New York, Savannah and Miami. Call today to see which departure location is best for you.
The processes and costs involved will really depend the particulars of your move. As it's essentially a free port, most household shipments can be imported free of duties and taxes.
The only way to be eligible for this relief on your effects is to fulfill all the requirements. For moving household goods to Singapore duty free an individual must:
- Intend to change his/her residency to Singapore
- Own all the items
- Import the items no later than 6 months after arriving
The goods must also be used and you must have owned them for more than 3 months prior to import. For more information and the required documentation, visit the Singapore customs website.
Country Information About Singapore
- 64 Islands make up Singapore but there's only one main island
- The country has a total area of only 682 square km
- English is the official working language and the most widely used
- The Singapore Sling was first served in 1915 at the Long Bar of the Raffles Hotel
- Population of about 5.3 Million
- GST Rate for 2013 is 7%
Move Your Goods Using Three Options
- Consolidated container service
- Exclusive use containers 20' or 40'
- Automobile shipping services
Useful Income Tax Information:
Resident or Non-Residents?
You will be treated as a tax resident for a particular Year of Assessment (YA) if you are;
- A Singaporean who normally resides in Singapore except for temporary absences; or
- A Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) who has established your permanent home in Singapore; or
- A foreigner who has stayed & worked in Singapore (excludes director of a company) for 183 days or more in the year before the YA.
Otherwise, you will be treated as a non-resident of Singapore for tax purposes.
Preparations for Transporting Your Pet to Singapore
- Import licence from the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) must be obtained 30 days prior to the date of arrival
- AVA will assign a Quarantine Reservation Code (QRC) at time of application
- Quarantine reservations must be placed at least three months in advance of arrival
For further information on any of above, call and discuss your move with one of our Moving Specialists at: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Martyn Cohen