- The saying "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" originated in Hong Kong. Noel Coward wrote the words referring to the Noon Day Gun in Causeway Bay fired every day at the stroke of midday since colonial times.
- Hong Kong has more Rolls Royce's per person than any other city in the world.
- Hong Kong's official languages are Chinese (Spoken Cantonese) and English.
- Hong Kong has the most skyscrapers in the world. Classified as buildings with more than 14 floors, Hong Kong has around 8000, almost double that of New York its nearest rival.
Moving Household Goods to Hong Kong from the U.S.
International Household Goods Moving Service to Hong Kong
Because it is a growing international destination and is home to one of the largest ports in the world, there are no shortages of relocation services shipping here.
The main questions for someone moving household goods to Hong Kong is really a matter of volume and how much of their personal belongings they want to take with them.
This information with help determine your overall transport costs along with location. We have 5 U.S. departure facilities(Los Angeles, Houston, New Jersey/New York, Miami and Savannah).
Fortunately, our international moving services specialize in consolidation of household goods. Meaning you'll only pay for the amount of space you actually need inside the container.
Personal Effects We Can Ship to Hong Kong
As part of our household goods division, we ship a variety of personal goods including: Homeware, clothing, furniture, appliances, household electronics and much more.
Every shipment is different and you should consider how much space your new residence has, as like most cities, HK is known for having smaller-sized flats. For those not wanting to ship furniture, there is an IKEA in the city.
Importing Your Household Goods and Customs Documentation
A major benefit for you as a client is that the autonomous region and port in Hong Kong have no import fees on the majority of common items from home (excluding excise goods).
More often than not, you won't have to pay any import taxes or duties on the goods you are bringing as part of your relocation from the U.S.
Although shipping a vehicle from the U.S. to Hong Kong is just as easy for us to handle, you may encounter duties and some taxes.
This will all depend on your status and the reason for moving the car. Ask one of our export specialists for more information before you decide.
These are the required documents you'll need when shipping household goods to Hong Kong.
- Detailed inventory list/manifest
- Bill of lading
- Import license
Relocating to Hong Kong and Obtaining Residency
For individuals, there is a temporary time frame of up to 6 months where you can stay in Hong Kong without a visa. Considering that you're going to be moving your belongings to Hong Kong you'll most likely be staying longer so make sure to start the application process earlier. There are a few different types of visas that will legally enable you to stay in Hong Kong. They are:
- Employment Visa
- Investment Visa(If you want to start up your own business)
- Dependant Visa
- Permanent Residency(Only get this after 7 years)
Companies on the other hand are resident if incorporated in Hong Kong or if the management is located there.
4 Major Hong Kong Cities we ship Household Goods to:
|Hong Kong City||Yung Shue Wan||Kowloon|
|Sok Kwu Wan|
Income Tax Overview:
Hong Kong's individual income tax rates are progressive and range from 2% to 17% and their taxes are also levied based on the territory you are located in. For both companies and individuals, any income derived outside the state is tax exempt.
Personal annual tax rates 2012 (HKD)
Rate of tax
Capital Gains: There is no capital gain tax in Hong Kong for companies or individuals and additionally, dividend income and interest income received from deposits is tax exempt.
6 Interesting Facts Regarding Your Move to Hong Kong
- Hong Kong is a special administration region of China
- The state has a land mass of only 30km(still thinking of shipping your car to Hong Kong?)
- Hong Kong has more Rolls Royce's per person than any city in the world
- Foreign persons wishing to reside in Hong Kong must have a valid entry VISA
- Population of about 7 Million
- Macau borders Hong Kong and is known as 'The Vegas of the East'!
Pet Transportation to Hong Kong
- Pet local permit fees are HK$432 and HK$102 for every additional animal
- Import permits from HK government are only valid for up to 6 months
For further information on any of above, call and discuss your move with one of our Moving Specialists at: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Damien Shields