- The population is 7.34 million. Swiss provinces are called "cantons." 70% of Switzerland is covered in mountains. There are palm trees in Switzerland!
- The landscape ranges from 643 feet above sea level in Ascona to 15,199 feet above sea level in The Dufour Peak. They are 43 miles apart. Switzerland has more than 1,500 lakes.
- You are never more than 10 miles from a lake!
- You can't turn right at a red light.
- They have no national flower, animal or motto.
- The first "Bond Girl" Ursula Andress was Swiss.
Moving to Switzerland
Moving Household Goods to Switzerland and Shipping Personal Effects
Switzerland has a lot to offer both the common traveler and the individual looking for a longer more permanent stay. It offers tons of outdoor activities year round, a rich historical culture and a mysterious banking industry.
However, because it's landlocked, those relocating overseas from the U.S. may find that the process of moving to Switzerland takes slightly longer.
This is because personal goods will need to be transshipped meaning they'll arrive first at one of the other european base ports and then be transported to your new residence.
International Moving Services to Switzerland
We have a variety of services we offer for relocations to Switzerland. The more common methods for transporting your belongings from home involve container shipments.
As mentioned, since the goods must be transshipped, it gives clients options on which baseport to enter. From the U.S., we own five facilities located near major departure ports in:
- Los Angeles
- New York
Everything on the exporting side of the equation is included as part of our relocation service and the shortest sail times, often lower rates too, will be from the east coast.
So even if you live in California, it may be more beneficial to move your household goods to Switzerland from New York, rather than Los Angeles.
Shipping household goods to Switzerland usually takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks once it’s on the water.
This depends on additional factors and can change so make sure to discuss time frames with your export specialist.
Interesting County Facts
- You are never more than 10 Miles from any lake
- 2012 - 60% of Switzerland's electricity is produced by hydroelectric power
- There is a statue of Freddie Mercury on Lake Geneva shore
- There are more banks than dentists
- You must own or be close to a Bomb Shelter, this is the law
- Population of about 8 Million
- AT Rate for 2013 is 8%
Useful Tax Information for Switzerland:
Individuals with residency are subject to personal income and net wealth taxes. Partnerships (and similar groups of persons without legal personality) have to be transparent for tax purposes so that the partners can be individually taxed.
Non-residents deriving income from certain Swiss sources (see below) may be subject to certain withholding taxes.
Taxes are paid and handled by two different divisions in Switzerland. There is a federal income tax and then there are taxes levied by local municipalities and the individual cantons. However, there is no federal net wealth tax as the cantonal and municipal income and net wealth taxation is taken care of by the separate cantons themselves. It's a lot to process but make sure you are aware of the two entities and their applicable rates when moving to your specific canton in Switzerland.
3 Tips on Pet Transportation Services to Switzerland
- Inspection are usually carried out by Swiss Customs at time of entry
- Pets brought into Switzerland must have an Animal Identity Service (ANIS) code
- Make sure your pet passport is up to date for all EU countries you intend to visit also
For further information on any of above, call and discuss your move with one of our Moving Specialists at: 800 599-0190 // 562 408-6677
Written by Damien Shields